There has been a lot of talk in recent years about making eco swaps in our homes, but why do we need to do this? If everyone made even just one change, collectively we would make a big difference in the reduction of waste going to landfill or waste that might end up in our oceans. We’ve all heard the phrase ‘reduce, reuse, recycle,’ especially concerning reducing single-use plastic and many of us have made swaps such as reusable carrier bags.
What else can we do? Certain areas of our lives can seem more challenging to make changes in than others. Bathroom swaps are one area that has taken our household longer to try, we have been so used to our normal products and with small children it has been easier just to carry on using them.
There are a lot of zero waste products on the market. Now is the time for a change, here is a list of bathroom swaps to give us all more ideas to try and dip in and out of and find new ways to reduce, reuse and recycle. When choosing your items to purchase consider if it’s zero waste plastic-free packaging. A bonus of the products below is that many now come in recyclable paper and card packaging.
- Buy refills for pump bottles instead of new toiletries bottles every shop.
- Try a bar shampoo, conditioner or body wash instead of the usual bottles.
- Use safety razors with blade refills instead of disposable razors.
- Use bamboo toothbrushes instead of plastic ones.
- Swap a tube of toothpaste for toothpaste in a glass pot, dental powder or dental tablets.
- Rather than use disposable cotton pads or balls try reusable cotton pads, just pop them in the wash after you’ve used them.
- Try eco dental floss rather than traditional dental floss made from plastic. There are bamboo, vegan and biodegradable options available.
- Use natural deodorants and sticks rather than aerosols, they’re better for the environment and better for your skin.
Which changes do you fancy trying? Try one change today and consider the positive impact in the future and the benefit for the greater good, from that one choice you have made. Together we can achieve great things.